COVID-19 cases, deaths in DMV drop to all-time lows

The number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the DMV have reached their lowest point since the start of the pandemic. 

The District’s daily case rate has fallen to just below 2 cases per 100,000, and the positivity rate – the average fraction of positive tests among total tests administered – has also hovered around 1 percent during the past few weeks, according to D.C. COVID-19 data. COVID-19 deaths have remained at all-time lows as well – the District hasn’t logged one in nearly three weeks, the longest streak since the pandemic started.

The rate of COVID-19 related hospitalizations has also reached a pandemic-era low of 1.5 percent. 

Six residents died from the coronavirus between June 1 and June 29 in comparison to the 83 COVID-19 related deaths in June 2020, according to city data. The District’s daily case rates peaked at almost 47 cases per 100,000 residents in January, according to a DCist report

City officials vaccinated 70 percent of all D.C. adults as of three weeks ago, meeting the city’s end of a goal set out by President Joe Biden for a nationwide Fourth of July vaccination benchmark. The total number of vaccinated adults in D.C. now stands at 72 percent as of Wednesday, DCist reported.