Parking law enforcement returns to pre-pandemic status

Residents+most+often+requested+service+for+parking+meters+in+Ward+2%2C+city+officials+said.+
File Photo by Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
Residents most often requested service for parking meters in Ward 2, city officials said.

The D.C. Department of Public Works restarted full enforcement of parking laws Tuesday after a brief pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

District officials temporarily relaxed the parking restriction enforcement during the pandemic but will no longer let expired parking meters, rush hour parking violations and other parking violations go without a ticket. The move comes as the city works to return to normal following the mass closures and disruptions caused by the pandemic.

Vehicles must also display valid registration and inspection stickers. Abandoned cars and cars parked in no parking zones will be towed and ticketed, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced in April. Officials will ticket vehicles that do not have residential parking permits displayed and vehicles that are not following street sweeping rules, DCist reported.

Officials temporarily suspended enforcement for many violations but never stopped ticketing unsafe parking practices like parking on crosswalks or in bike lanes.

The city’s revenue from parking tickets dropped by about half in 2020 when compared with the year before, according to DCist. The District will also allow late fees on unpaid parking tickets to be waived as part of an amnesty program that will last from June through September.