Hundreds approved to live on campus this summer

Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
Freshmen said they could occasionally visit campus to try to connect with other students, but it was difficult to build community in a virtual setting.

Updated: May 21, 2021 at 9:56 a.m.

About 450 students will be living on campus this summer as the University prepares for an in-person fall semester.

Officials approved every eligible applicant to live on campus during the summer, about half of which were already living on campus this spring, Assistant Dean of Students Seth Weinshel said. He said students living on campus will still be subject to the same safety protocols students were required to follow in the spring, including weekly COVID-19 testing and social distancing.

“Students who will be living on-campus this summer have been informed that as we begin the summer, they will continue to follow the same health and safety protocols implemented for students and the GW community during the spring 2021 semester,” Weinshel said in an email.

Students living on campus this summer will move in between May 22 and 25, Weinshel said. He said an average of 700 students lived on campus during the summer in pre-pandemic years, signifying a decrease of about 250 students living on campus from pre-pandemic summers compared to this year.

Weinshel said people who are not affiliated with GW will not be allowed to live in residence halls this summer because of COVID-19 concerns. He said high school groups, students from other universities and other education-based groups used residence halls in the summer in pre-pandemic years.

Students will be assigned to live in District House and Shenkman and South halls, Weinshel said. He added that those living on campus this summer will be able to transition to their fall housing assignments over the weekend of Aug. 16.

This post has been updated to clarify the following:
This post has been updated to clarify a quote from Weinshel.