Students living in D.C. to become eligible for COVID-19 vaccine Monday

Nearly+a+quarter+of+Ward+2+residents+have+received+a+COVID-19+vaccine.+
File Photo by Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
Nearly a quarter of Ward 2 residents have received a COVID-19 vaccine.

All students living in the District will become eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine a week earlier than previously announced.

D.C. residents age 16 and older will be eligible for the vaccine Monday, according to a tweet from the D.C. Department of Health. Officials said they are treating out-of-state students as city residents, ensuring that all students living in D.C. have access to vaccine appointments.

District health officials said all registered seniors, essential workers and those with qualifying medical conditions have been offered appointments, which allowed vaccine distribution to get ahead of schedule. D.C. residents can preregister for a vaccination appointment through the District’s coronavirus website.

Mayor Muriel Bowser initially announced last week that residents age 16 and older would become eligible for vaccine appointments on April 19. President Joe Biden stated last week that he wanted states to have vaccines available for all adults by April 19.

The District revamped its preregistration system last month to resolve technical issues with the website. D.C. officials began urging local pharmacies last week to stop scheduling vaccine appointments through independent websites and to schedule them through the city’s official website instead.