Dish of the Week: Tasty Kabob’s chicken and rice

Lindsay Paulen | Senior Staff Photographer
Tasty Kabob’s chicken and rice platter comes with chickpeas and a side salad.

If you’ve been missing the food trucks that usually line Foggy Bottom’s streets, head to Tasty Kabob in McLean, Virginia.

The campus food truck – known for its generous portions and relatively affordable prices – now has a brick and mortar store located at 1624 Boro Place. The shop is easily accessible from campus via the Metro’s Silver Line.

Tasty Kabob’s menu is simple and mimics the style of many fast-casual restaurants, allowing customers to customize rice plates, salads or gyros for $9. Each meal also includes two flavor-packed side dishes, like spinach, potatoes or chickpeas.

I opted for the chicken and rice platter ($9) with chickpeas and a side salad, which was often my go-to meal in between my busy schedule of classes when Tasty Kabob’s food truck still operated on campus. I’ve had Tasty Kabob dozens of times, but I’m still always pleasantly surprised with how much food I get for less than $10 – a rarity when dining out in the District.

My meal came with heaping scoops of long-grain rice and chicken that was doused in Tasty Kabob’s classic white sauce. Each bite was packed with flavor from the well-seasoned rice to the juicy, slightly spicy chicken to the creamy and tangy white sauce.

I’m usually not the type of person to be overly excited by a restaurant’s side dishes, but that’s not the case at Tasty Kabob. I’m not 100 percent sure what Tasty Kabob puts in its side of chickpeas, but I know it’s absolutely delicious. The chickpeas are served in almost a stew-like sauce that’s slightly salty and tastes great mixed into the chicken and rice.

The side salad comes with a bed of lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, a sprinkling of feta cheese and a squeeze of white sauce. With crunch from the lettuce and red onion, the crunchy side salad balanced out the softer chickpeas, rice and chicken.

I miss the familiarity of ordering Tasty Kabob on campus and waiting patiently for my meal on 22nd Street’s bustling sidewalk. But the food truck’s new location was worth the trip to Virginia and transported me back to pre-coronavirus times on campus.