Campus will begin phased reopening this summer

File Photo by Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
LeBlanc and Blake said they have heard from many students, faculty and staff about the significance of making Election Day a University holiday.

GW’s campuses will gradually reopen this summer as officials hope to return in person this fall.

Officials said summer courses will still largely be taught online, but classes that require in-person instruction or research will take place on campus, according to an email sent to the University community Monday. Officials will also allow summer programming “within limitations” and offer residential housing to no more than 2,000 students.

“The local and national COVID-19 vaccination rollout has given our community reasons to be more optimistic for the rest of 2021 that we will see declines in coronavirus hospitalizations and deaths,” the officials said. “While this is encouraging, our public health and safety experts think it likely that the vaccination roll-out will continue through the summer for many in our community.”

Officials will continue to only permit members of the on-campus cohort, who are required to receive a COVID-19 test weekly and complete a daily symptom check, to access the Foggy Bottom and Virginia Science and Technology campuses throughout the summer.

But they added they have not decided on access to the Mount Vernon Campus, which houses many of GW’s athletic fields, this summer and will make a decision in the “coming months.”

Roughly 1,500 students live on campus this spring, and officials are planning for an in-person fall “to the fullest extent possible.”

“A larger on-campus summer cohort will facilitate our planning, training, system and infrastructure updates in preparation for the fall,” the officials wrote.

Registration for summer classes will open on March 15, and officials will update information about whether each class will meet in person, in hybrid format or online “as it becomes available.”

Officials said holding an in-person, New Student Orientation and other events for new students is a “top priority.”

They added that they will also consider expanding on-campus research as the summer approaches based on applicable public health recommendations. GW currently remains in its “Research Phase 2: Expanded, Limited Reopening,” which caps labs and shared areas at 50 percent capacity.

The George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum could begin a limited reopening during the summer, officials said.

“We are committed to continuing to offer a high-quality academic experience and to making all necessary preparations for increased on-campus activity in the fall,” the officials said.