Nearly 7,500 students used fall Pass/No Pass or Credit/No Credit policy: officials

Officials said almost 7,500 students used the Pass/No Pass or Credit/No Credit options for one or more of their classes last semester.

University spokesperson Crystal Nosal said 4,565 undergraduate students and 2,805 graduate students took at least one class as pass/fail or Credit/No Credit during the fall. She said more than 95.6 percent of undergraduate courses taken as pass/fail resulted in grades of “P” while more than 99 percent of graduate courses taken as Credit/No Credit resulted in grades of “CR.”

Both the number of undergraduate and graduate students who took a course pass/fail or Credit/No Credit declined for the fall compared to last spring. Nosal said in October that about 5,500 undergraduates took at least one course pass/fail and about 3,800 graduate students took at least one course Credit/No Credit.

Nosal said 42.5 percent of eligible students qualified for the Dean’s List at the end of the fall semester, or 4,033 out of the 9,490 full-time undergraduates. This is a slight drop from the spring 2020 semester, when 47.4 percent of students qualified for the list, she said.

Officials announced last October that undergraduates would be permitted to take only one class pass/fail for the fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters while for students in graduate and professional programs, their respective schools would offer the Credit/No Credit option on a school-by-school basis.

“The proposed solution, we believe, offers a sensible balance between respecting students’ current needs and maximizing their future success,” Provost Brian Blake said in an October email.