Officials to offer nearly 80 courses in person or in hybrid format in spring

Officials said the University will offer “approximately” 77 spring courses in either an in-person or a hybrid format, a slight increase from the fall.

Koren Bedeau, the senior associate provost for special projects, said 68 courses offered in the fall were taught in person or in a hybrid format to accommodate for undergraduate students in the School of Nursing and students who had a time-sensitive requirement to complete a capstone project or research that must be conducted on campus. She said in addition to the in-person or hybrid nursing and capstone courses next semester, GW Law will also offer “a few” in-person or hybrid courses after holding all classes online in the fall.

Officials announced in October that all undergraduate courses and “most” graduate programs will be conducted online this spring.

“Given the nature of graduate education and medical/health science education, there are more graduate students who require time-sensitive access to campus in order to conduct master’s thesis and dissertation research, complete practicum, lab, clinical and other training that could only be conducted from campus,” Bedeau said in an email.

Corcoran School of the Arts and Design officials said in September that certain students working on capstone projects would have access to labs and studios, and administrators would implement social distancing regulations for students to follow.

Bedeau said officials have set up seating arrangements in classrooms to follow social distancing protocols.

“Everyone on campus and in classroom space is required to wear a mask and participate in daily symptom tracking, weekly testing and other public health protocols,” she said.

Bedeau declined to say whether officials plan to increase the number of faculty and staff who have access to on-campus facilities next semester in light of the change.