GW Mutual Aid raises more than $10,000 in student-provided relief by end of semester

A student-led collective surpassed $10,000 in collected donations to financially support University students requesting need, the group announced Tuesday.

The GW Mutual Aid Network, a student group providing resources and financial support to peers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, raised about $12,800 for the group’s emergency assistance fund. The donations, which have come from 465 donors, will be used to provide emergency rental assistance, food and medical necessities to students, the post states.

The group has given $12,749.98 in monetary donations to more than 30 students but is still attempting to cover $3,000 in unmet needs, according to the post.

“As a community, we’ve come together to provide incredible aid to so many of us,” the post states. “But we’re still well below what we need, and donations have been incredibly slow. Donate what you have to keep fellow students housed through the winter.”

The group encouraged followers to donate more and share the page to assist students during the winter, citing mutual aid contributions from Columbia and Georgetown universities as comparisons. Georgetown’s mutual aid has raised $37,333.78 in contributions while Columbia has raised more than $50,000.