Officials update spring academic calendar, finalize students returning to campus

Officials updated the spring semester’s academic calendar to maintain a “traditional” weeklong spring break, cancel classes on Inauguration Day and make adjustments to make-up and reading days in late April.

University President Thomas LeBlanc said in an email announcing the changes that schools with their own academic calendars will update their students directly about any further changes. The spring semester will begin on Jan. 11, and final exams will occur from May 3 to 11, as previously planned, the email states.

LeBlanc said officials have also approved all student applications to live on campus in the spring, with a total of 1,100 students to join the roughly 500 students currently living on campus.

He said officials have scheduled the 1,100 students to move in over the course of two weekends in late January after classes start to avoid “a potential superspreader event” around the inauguration. He said officials have asked faculty to be flexible in their classes early in the spring semester to accommodate for students who are moving in.

“Scheduling additional residential student move-in over two weekends in late January allows necessary time for planning, a safe and socially distanced process on campus and adherence to District and University public health guidance,” LeBlanc said in the email. “It also supports our commitment to limiting the spread of the virus among the D.C. community.”