Men’s basketball continues incremental rise in A-10 preseason poll

File Photo by Sabrina Godin | Assistant Photo Editor
Senior forward Arnaldo Toro fights through traffic in last week’s game against George Mason. In the Colonials’ game against Duquesne, Toro grabbed a floor-leading 14 rebounds and sunk 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting.

Men’s basketball is projected to finish 11th in a field of 14 Atlantic 10 teams, according to a press release Tuesday.

The team has slowly improved its preseason ranking throughout the last two years, jumping from No. 13 prior to the 2018-19 campaign to No. 12 before the 2019-20 season. The squad last sat at No. 11 in the preseason poll before the 2017-18 season.

No Colonial was selected to a preseason Conference Team.

Last season, the squad tabbed a 12-20 overall finish and a 6-12 record in conference play under head coach Jamion Christian’s first year. The Colonials ended the year on a first round exit at the A-10 Tournament, which was eventually called off amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Richmond is expected to be the team to beat this season, receiving 19 first-place votes from head coaches and select media members. Last season, the Spiders finished 24-7 overall, tacking on a .778 conference winning percentage. Richmond bested GW in both of its meetings last season.

Saint Louis and Dayton, respectively, rounded out the top three teams in the poll. The Billikens earned seven first place votes and the Flyers notched two votes for the No. 1 position.

GW’s 2020-21 season will begin Wednesday, Nov. 25 at the Veterans Classic. The Colonials will hit the road for the first time this season against Navy for a noon tipoff.

Men’s basketball A-10 2019-20 coaches poll

1. Richmond (19 first-place votes)
2. Saint Louis (7)
3. Dayton (2)
4. St. Bonaventure
5. Duquesne
6. Rhode Island
7. Davidson
8. Massachusetts
9. VCU
10. George Mason
11. George Washington
12. Saint Joseph’s
13. La Salle
14. Fordham