Men’s basketball expected to finish 13th in Atlantic 10

Graeme Sloan | Hatchet Photographer
Sophomore guard Terry Nolan Jr. was named to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Defensive Team and was the only Colonial to score a spot on an all-conference team.

Men’s basketball has been slated to finish second to last in the Atlantic 10 this season, according to a coaches’ poll announced Thursday.

The projection is the worst GW has received since 2012 when there were 16 teams in the conference and continues a steady decline in rankings for GW. The last time GW was chosen 13th out of 14 teams in the conference was in 2009. Ahead of the 2017-18 season, GW was placed in the No. 11 spot and the Colonials ended with a 7-11 A-10 record, wrapping up in the same position they were predicted to finish in.

Sophomore guard Terry Nolan Jr. was the only Colonial to earn a spot on an all-conference team. Nolan was named to the Preseason All-Defensive Team.

As a freshman last season, Nolan started nearly all of GW’s 33 games with 31 appearances on the court and averaged 3.2 rebounds per game for a total of 106 boards. He is the team’s top returning scorer from last season when he averaged 9.1 points per game.

Saint Louis is expected to win the conference. The Bilkens last won the A-10 Championship in 2013 and finished last season with a 17-16 record overall last year and 9-9 in the A-10. Saint Louis topped GW last year in the second round of the A-10 tournament – terminating GW’s season with a 70–63 loss.

The poll was chosen by a panel of the league’s coaches and select members of the media.

GW returns eight players from last season’s roster. The team will kick off the season Nov. 6 at home taking on Stony Brook following an Oct. 28 exhibition game against Catholic.

Men’s basketball A-10 2018-19 coaches poll

1. Saint Louis (15 first-place votes)
2. Saint Joseph’s (4)
3. Davidson (6)
4. George Mason (1)
5. Rhode Island
6. Dayton
7. VCU
8. Massachussetts
9. St. Bonaventure
10. Richmond
11. Duquesne
12. La Salle
13. George Washington
14. Fordham