Officials extend Pass/No Pass deadline for undergraduates one week

Provost+Brian+Blake+intends+to+sit+down+with+each+of+the+schools+deans+and+discuss+their+visions+for+their+schools.+
File Photo by Jack Borowiak | Staff Photographer
Provost Brian Blake intends to sit down with each of the school’s deans and discuss their visions for their schools.

Officials extended the deadline for undergraduate students to take one class Pass/No Pass this semester one week, officials announced in an email Friday.

Provost Brian Blake said he consulted with deans and administrators to make his decision and created an online submission form for students to submit their requests by Nov. 13. The decision comes after students expressed concern in a survey officials conducted over the original Nov. 6 deadline for students to request to take a class as pass/fail this semester.

The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Advisory Council launched a petition last week calling for officials to extend the pass/fail deadline, citing the “tremendous risk” for students to have to determine which class to take pass/fail before being fully aware of their academic standing after taking midterms.

Officials announced last month that students would be allowed to take one class pass/fail after the Student Association Senate passed a resolution in July urging officials to return to pass/fail grading this semester and students launched a petition calling for officials to reintroduce the policy in October.

Blake said students who have already submitted requests to take a class pass/fail do not need to submit their request on the online form as well. He said all other pass/fail policies will remain the same and other graduate and professional programs will make decisions about whether to offer classes Credit/No Credit “on a school-by-school basis.”

“Graduate students with questions about Credit/No Credit are encouraged to consult with program advisers and/or faculty, who are in the best position to review potential benefits and risks of grading options,” he said in the email.