Students sign petition urging officials to review online spring semester decision

A student launched a petition last week calling for officials to review their decision to hold the spring semester online.

The petition comes after officials announced earlier this month at a Faculty Senate meeting and in an email to the student body that all undergraduate courses and “most” graduate programs will be held virtually in the spring. The petition, which had attained more than 1,800 signatures as of Sunday, states that students were “disappointed” with the lack of effort to create a plan for students to return to campus and calls for officials to “put the work and effort in” to allow students to return, “at the very least, for freshmen.”

“With a well-articulated return plan and mutual responsibility, respect and effort between the students and staff at GW, the student body is confident that we can return to campus for the spring semester,” the petition states.

The petition states that the decision to hold the spring semester virtually was made “prematurely,” as the COVID-19 pandemic may change “a lot” within the next few months.

“As GWU students, we are prepared to ‘Raise High!’ by working together and following safety guidelines for a safe and successful return to an on-campus experience in Washington, D.C.,” the petition states.

A University spokesperson did not immediately return a request for comment.

Lucas Souza, the student who started the petition, did not return multiple requests for comment.