Officials restrict building access for fall semester

Scott Burnotes said GWorld card access to all buildings on the Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science and Technology campuses will be turned off to anyone not permitted to be on campus.

Buildings on all three of GW’s campuses will be closed to students, faculty and staff not approved to be on campus in the fall, according to an email sent to the GW community Monday.

Scott Burnotes, the associate vice president of safety and security, said in the email that all campus buildings will only be accessible to community members with special permission to be on campus starting Aug. 28 at 5 p.m. He said GWorld card access to all buildings on the Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science and Technology campuses will be turned off to anyone not permitted to be on campus.

“Access to GW centers and offices in leased spaces will also be restricted,” Burnotes said in the email. “Deans and vice presidents are engaged in identifying the limited number of faculty, students and staff who require access to campus.”

Burnotes said both D.C. and Virginia’s jurisdictions have approved GW’s plan to hold most classes online for the fall semester, which officials announced late last month.

He said the Medical Faculty Associates building, Ross Hall and the GW Hospital will continue operating under protocols separate from the University because they are classified as medical facilities.

District officials instated a mandatory 14-day quarantine last month for people coming from 27 states, like Florida and Texas, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“If you are granted access to campus, you will receive detailed information about required training, public health protocols and COVID-19 testing,” Burnotes said.