Women’s basketball adds two former players as graduate assistants

Forward Sarah Overcash and guard Ariel Stephenson will remain on the women’s basketball team as graduate assistants for the 2020-21 season, according to a press release last week.

The duo graduated in 2020 and will pursue master’s degrees in sports management. Overcash and Stephenson will join Anna Savino, a 2019 graduate, to round out the team’s graduate assistants.

Head coach Jennifer Rizzotti said she was “excited” to add familiar faces to the coaching staff. Women’s basketball is the only team in the A-10 on which multiple alumni serve as graduate assistants.

“I have worked hard to surround myself with great people in my coaching career,” Rizzotti said in the release. “These two women, who have proudly represented our program on the court, will be no different.”

Overcash played a season at Illinois before joining the Colonials on the court for the 2018-19 season as a team captain. She played in 48 games throughout her time at GW, starting 12 of those contests. She averaged 1.6 points and 2.8 rebounds in 11.6 points per game.

She dropped her final year of eligibility after the 2019-20 season and graduated with a degree in psychology.

“I’ve been given so many amazing opportunities at GW and am eager to start this new chapter with my GW family,” Overcash said in the release.

Stephenson joined the Colonials for the 2019-20 season as a graduate student transfer after playing three years at Wake Forest. She faced injuries but played in 24 games last season, starting in 16. She averaged 4.8 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game in 19.5 average minutes on the floor.

“I’m so excited to work with this staff filled with knowledgeable coaches, driven competitors and all-around great people,” Stephenson said in the release. “I’m ready to be a sponge and soak up all that I can from Xs and Os, to recruiting and everything in between.”