Former guard stays with women’s basketball as graduate assistant

Former guard Anna Savino will stay on women’s basketball to serve as a graduate assistant, head coach Jennifer Rizzotti announced Wednesday.

Savino will join the coaching staff after spending one season on the court. She worked as the Colonials’ team manager for three years before walking onto the squad in October 2018 and cementing herself in the starting five.

“Not only was she one of our hardest workers on the court, but her ability to pick things up quickly this year proved she has a future on the basketball sidelines,” Rizzotti said in the release. “In addition, her background as a three-year manager gives her a great idea of what to expect in her new role.”

Savino, who will work toward a masters in sports management, will help oversee game and practice operations, travel, recruitment and player development, according to the release. She joins a coaching staff rich in Atlantic 10 Conference Championships but rebuilding after a lackluster season.

Savino’s hustle on the court and her knowledge of Rizzotti’s playbook elevated her to a starting position early in the season. She played a total of 27 games during the 2018-19 campaign.

She averaged 25.3 minutes, 2.4 points and 2.6 rebounds per game in her inaugural season. Savino took care of the ball on the offensive side too, racking up 39 turnovers on the season – the lowest among players with more than 450 minutes played.