Higher education technology consultant chosen as enrollment vice provost

Officials announced Wednesday that Jay Goff will take over as vice provost of enrollment and student success in August.

Goff, an executive consultant for universities and higher education technology, will bring more than 25 years of higher education administration experience to the role, according to a University release. Goff will lead the creation of the University’s comprehensive plan for GW’s student experience, the release states.

Goff said in the release that joining GW is an “honor” and its student experience contributes to the University’s standing as a “top comprehensive global research” university.

“I chose GW because of its leadership, world-class faculty, outstanding staff and the deep commitment to improving student access, diversity and success,” he said in the release. “I look forward to working with the entire GW community to further advance the University’s reputation through broader national and international outreach.”

Goff will replace Ed Gillis, a former University of Miami dean of enrollment management, who has served in the interim since August.

Goff will oversee the offices of undergraduate admissions, graduate enrollment, student financial assistance, the registrar, enrollment retention, summer and non-degree programs, student systems, services and analytics and career services, the release states.

Goff has previously served as the chief enrollment officer and vice president and vice provost at Saint Louis University and Missouri University of Science and Technology, according to the release.

Provost Brian Blake said Goff has worked with “many” higher education institutions worldwide on enrollment and student success.

“The strategic enrollment management plans he implemented at several universities led to broader access, diversity, affordability and graduation rate records,” Blake said in the release. “In the face of the pandemic, this is the most essential hire that we will make now and in the future.”

Goff earned a bachelor’s degree from Southeast Missouri State University and completed his master’s degree in organizational communication at the University of Kansas, according to the release. Goff is currently completing his doctoral degree in higher education management at Saint Louis University with a focus on effective change management, the release states.

Goff received the Lee Noel and Randi Levitz National Retention Excellence Award in 2018 for his organizational system to improve student success and “set records” for degree completion rates, according to the release.

Goff has consulted for more than 30 institutions in 10 countries and served as a coordinator for the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers’ Strategic Enrollment Management Conference for eight years, according to the release.

Goff has been an advisory board member for multiple education and assessment organizations including ACT, the Educational Policy Institute and the National Student Clearinghouse, the release states.