Administrators plan to hold in-person classes this fall, website states

A+University+website+states+that+administrators+plan+to+resume+in-person+classes+by+the+fall+semester.+
Eric Lee | Staff Photographer
A University website states that administrators plan to resume in-person classes by the fall semester.

Officials plan to resume in-person classes and residential housing this fall, a University website states.

Administrators plan for students to return to campus for “in-person instruction and a residential academic experience” in the fall 2020 semester, with more “detailed” communication about plans for operation promised by May 15, the website states. All students were required to move off campus by March 20 unless they applied and qualified for University housing after officials moved classes online for the remainder of the spring semester.

“As we work to develop these plans, we are doing so with a commitment to both safety and care for our students, staff and faculty,” the website states.

Officials announced April 3 most summer courses will be held online and residence halls will be closed throughout the summer. Lost revenue and unexpected expenditures resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic will total about $25 million, University President Thomas LeBlanc told the Faculty Senate at its April meeting.

Boston University, one of GW’s 12 peer schools, announced last week that its COVID-19 recovery plan includes the possibility of pushing back the start of the fall semester to January 2021 in the event that public health authorities continue to limit mass gatherings.