Class of 2020 invited to next year’s Commencement on National Mall

File Photo by Matthew Edwards | Photographer
Commencement will coincide with GW’s Bicentennial Weekend celebrations, and more details about required ceremony registration will be provided in the coming weeks, according to the announcement email.

The Class of 2020 will join next year’s graduating class for Commencement on the National Mall in May 2021, the University’s bicentennial.

University President Thomas LeBlanc said officials are working to hold a virtual celebration on May 17 to recognize this year’s graduates in the interim, according to an email to the GW community Monday. The announcement comes after more than 6,500 people signed a petition calling on officials to reschedule the canceled Commencement ceremony on the National Mall.

“You have worked too hard to get to this moment not to be celebrated,” LeBlanc said in the email. “Many of you took time to write to the Commencement email address, and the overwhelming majority asked to be invited back to graduate on the Mall when feasible. I could not agree more that you deserve this opportunity.”

LeBlanc said more details about next year’s Commencement will be announced in the coming weeks, and students are encouraged to continue providing feedback by emailing [email protected].

“As difficult as postponing important milestones has been, we have taken these actions to protect our students, faculty and staff, and to support the greater good,” he said. “I remain proud, and feel so fortunate, to be part of this incredible community with you.”