Elliott School graduation schedule unchanged by move to online courses, officials say

Higher+education+experts+said+the+Elliott+Schools+redesigned+retreat+will+allow+students+to+develop+relationships+with+faculty.+
File Photo by Jack Fonseca | Senior Staff Photographer
Higher education experts said the Elliott School’s redesigned retreat will allow students to develop relationships with faculty.

The Elliott School of International Affairs is proceeding with commencement plans as the University prepares to shift to online courses for at least two weeks, according to an email sent from the school’s undergraduate advising office Thursday.

Elliott School officials said they do not plan to change the current commencement date, currently slated for May 15 at the Smith Center. The announcement comes as several universities across the United States decide to cancel or postpone their graduation ceremonies, and other schools like GW peer Tulane University are still weighing the option.

“GW continues to actively monitor the COVID-19 situation closely and any additional guidance will be provided as we receive it,” the email states. “The safety of our students, faculty and staff is our highest priority.”

Officials also encouraged staff and faculty to avoid domestic travel and banned non-essential GW-affiliated international travel.