A-10 scraps spring sports in wake of growing COVID-19 concerns

The+University+plans+to+transfer+its+liquor+license+from+the+Marvin+Center+to+the+Smith+Center.+
File Photo by Arielle Bader | Staff Photographer
The University plans to transfer its liquor license from the Marvin Center to the Smith Center.

The Atlantic 10 is halting all spring sports’ conference and nonconference matchups and championships, according to an A-10 release Thursday.

Nine A-10 sports at GW – men’s and women’s outdoor track and field, lacrosse, softball, baseball, women’s rowing, men’s and women’s tennis and golf – will not continue the 2020 season. The conference includes 14 member schools along the East Coast and Midwest.

The cancellations come after the NCAA scrapped its winter and spring championships Thursday afternoon. The A-10 also announced Thursday that the men’s basketball tournament, hosted in Brooklyn, New York from March 11 to 15, was cut.

A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said the decision was “difficult for the conference” but considered the health and safety of the athletic community.

“The health and safety of everyone is our top priority, and while we truly empathize with our student-athletes, we believe this is the best course of action,” A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said. “I’m thankful for the leadership of our Presidents’ Council, Athletic Directors, coaches and student-athletes during this difficult time in our history.”

Athletic Director Tanya Vogel said in a statement that Thursday will be remembered as a “sad and bizarre” day in the athletic community, and the athletic department gives its “deepest sorrows” to all affected by the global pandemic.

“To all NCAA student-athletes whose seasons are now over, and especially to our GW seniors whose careers have been cut short, you have filled our days with joy,” Vogel said in the release.

Softball, baseball and lacrosse were wrapping up its nonconference schedules before the cancellation. The squads had yet to see an A-10 matchup.

Women’s rowing and men’s and women’s outdoor track and field had not begun its seasons. Women’s rowing was slated to open its spring slate April 5 at the Cooper Invitational, while track and field was scheduled to kick off the year at the Penn Challenge March 21.

Men’s and women’s tennis have completed 10 and 12 games, respectively. Both teams ended the truncated season with a win.

Golf played in two tournaments before its spring season came to a close, placing No. 6 of eight teams at the Presidents Match Play Championship Feb. 17 and 18 and No. 7 of 15 at Bash at the Beach Monday and Tuesday.