More than 90 percent of Class of 2019 finds plans six months after graduation

More than nine out of 10 graduates in the Class of 2019 found plans to work, continue studying or engage in service within six months of leaving GW.

The First Destination Survey, which collects data on recent graduates’ plans following graduation, found that 66 percent of respondents had secured part-time or full-time employment within six months of graduation at a higher salary than last year’s class, according to a release. Another 22 percent are enrolled or plan to enroll in continuing education, while 5 percent are engaged in “other activities”, which include community service and travel.

Michael McKenzie, the managing director of career and learning experience, said in a release that the data will help Center for Career Services staff better understand hiring trends and assist students in securing their post-graduation plans.

The 92 percent of respondents to the survey who have plans after graduation represent a five percent increase from the previous class.

McKenzie said career center staff worked to improve outreach efforts by informing 2019 graduates about career resources available to them as alumni, like GW Career Connect – an online service that helps members of the GW community network.

Eight percent of students are still seeking employment, the survey states, and McKenzie said career center staff are following up with students who had not yet secured post-graduation plans.

“Our outreach campaign helped us confirm that many students were working or continuing their education, and it allowed us to provide extra support for the small number of alumni who were still looking,” McKenzie said. “We plan to continue these efforts for the Class of 2020 with some additional outreach and support from alumni, especially for students who are searching after graduation.”

Sixty-four percent of graduates working full-time have secured jobs in the private for-profit sector, an annual decrease of three percent, while another 28 percent are working for nonprofit organizations and 8 percent are working in the public sector, according to the release. About 81 percent of graduates work in the Mid-Atlantic region, the release states.

GW was named the top producer of Peace Corps volunteers among medium-sized schools for the third consecutive year.

Sixty-seven percent of graduates seeking higher degrees are pursuing a master’s degree, 19 percent are seeking a law degree, 7 percent are seeking a doctoral degree and 6 percent a medical degree, the release states.