GW ranked top mid-sized university for Peace Corps volunteers for third consecutive year

GW ranked No. 1 among medium-sized schools for producing the most Peace Corps volunteers, clinching the spot for a third consecutive year, according to a press release the organization published Wednesday.

Sixty-two alumni are currently volunteering with the Peace Corps around the world, the most out of universities that enroll between 5,000 and 15,000 undergraduates, the release states. GW has consistently appeared in the rankings throughout the past two decades, according to the release.

“These schools are institutions that emphasize being global citizens and service-minded students,” Peace Corp director Jody Olsen said in the release. “I am excited to know the graduates coming from Peace Corps’ Top Colleges are using their skills to make a positive impact on their communities at home and abroad.”

American University and the College of William and Mary grabbed the second and third spots in the ranking, producing 48 and 46 undergraduate alumni volunteers, respectively.

Fourteen graduate alumni serve as Peace Corps volunteers, the most out of all other graduate schools, according to the release. New York and Tulane universities and the universities of South Florida and Washington tied for the second spot in the rankings, each producing 11 graduate school alumni volunteers, the release states.

More than 1,330 alumni have served abroad as Peace Corps volunteers since the agency’s founding in 1961, according to the release.

Benjamin Park, a Class of 2016 alumnus who volunteers with the Peace Corps in Mongolia, said his experiences at GW prepared him for an easy transition into the culture in the community for which he volunteers.

“While studying at GWU, I had the pleasure of interacting with many people from all around the world due to the diversity of GWU’s student body,” Park said in the release. “Their stories and unique perspectives gradually led me to pursue opportunities outside of the U.S., eventually leading to my acceptance in Peace Corps Mongolia. I believe my time at GWU made me more comfortable and aware of cultural differences, allowing me to quickly adapt to the norms of my community and interact with them as a friend instead of an outsider.”