Women’s soccer overcomes Fordham in third straight overtime of season

Sophia+Young+%7C+Photographer+
Sophia Young | Photographer

Women’s soccer preserved its perfect conference record with an overtime win over Fordham Thursday.

The Colonials (6-1-2, 2-0-0 A-10) edged out the Rams (2-7-2, 1-1-0 A-10) 2–1 for their fourth straight win and best start to conference play since they earned the regular season crown in 2015. GW set the pace for the majority of the match, allowing one goal and securing a season-high 30 shots.

“As long as we’re getting in dangerous positions and creating opportunities, that’s the most important thing,” head coach Michelle Demko said. “So I would be a little more worried or frantic on the sidelines if we were unable to get in those dangerous pockets and dangerous spots and goal-scoring opportunities.”

Fordham struck first in the 39th minute, netting a deflected cross through the hands of redshirt freshman goalkeeper Tamaki Machi.

The Colonials entered halftime down a goal but wasted no time making a comeback in the second half. Less than 10 minutes into the second frame, the team pounded three shots toward the Rams’ net before redshirt senior defender Meghan McCormick headed a ball into the corner of Fordham’s goal to tie the game.

More than 30 minutes of scoreless play followed the Colonials’ equalizer. Machi made four saves to keep the game knotted 1–1. She nabbed five saves on the day.

Knotted at one goal apiece, the Colonials entered their third overtime this season. Five minutes into overtime, sophomore defender Madi Coyne made a run into the box on a corner kick and headed the ball between the pipes to end the game 2–1 and score her first game-winning goal of her GW career.

The squad fired off 13 shots in the first half but struggled to break through senior goalkeeper Kelly LaMorte. Coyne said the lack of goals pressured them to take more shots.

“It’s more reassuring that we’re getting the shots, and I’d rather have a bunch of shots and a few fall then getting no shots.” Coyne said. “So we knew it was coming eventually, and our coaches were saying the same thing, ‘Just keep putting them in.’”

The Rams had better luck, scoring on their fourth shot of the game. After freshman midfielder Danielle Etienne made a cross into the box, the ball bounced off a GW defender and junior forward Crea Baker-Durante guided the ball past Machi for a goal.

“Their goal was extremely unlucky,” sophomore midfielder Sammy Neyman said. “It was a miscommunication in our back line and we’re going to fix that.”

Twelve different Colonials recorded at least one shot. Three players – redshirt sophomores forward Rachel Sorkenn and midfielder Anyssa Ibrahim and sophomore midfielder Maria Pareja – notched a game-leading five shots. GW currently leads the A-10 in shots on goal (101) and ranks third in shots taken overall with 180 on the year.

Despite its hot start to conference play, Coyne said the squad should continue to focus one game at a time.

“You can only focus on the one that’s coming up,” Coyne said. “Even if there is a huge game that’s four games away and you’re always thinking about that, then you can easily lose a game like this.”

The Colonials hit the road to face Rhode Island Sunday. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.