Women’s soccer ties Maryland after double overtime

Jack Borowiak | Staff Photographer
Redshirt sophomore forward Rachel Sorkenn chases the ball during Sunday’s game against the Maryland.

After 110 minutes on the pitch, women’s soccer tied Maryland in a physical match Sunday.

Despite falling behind early in the second half, the Colonials (2-1-1) finished even with the Terrapins (3-2-1) 1–1. The Colonials relied on offense pressure to finally break Maryland’s defense late in the second frame.

“It was an absolute 90-minute dogfight,” head coach Michelle Demko said. “Everybody knew their role and owned their role. The players that came into the game gave us really good energy.”

Redshirt sophomore forward Rachel Sorkenn netted the sole goal for the Colonials from a cross by junior midfielder Allie Nornes. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Tamaki Machi held down the fort on the opposite side of the field, accumulating seven saves on eight shots on goal from the Terrapins.

The Colonials dominated the first half of the game, maintaining possession of the ball. GW created multiple opportunities to score, outshooting the Terrapins eight to four.

By the end of the frame, the Colonials and Terrapins headed to the locker room in a deadlock at 0–0. Demko said her team’s movement on the field in the first half allowed the entire team to join the attack.

“Our movement as a whole back to front was really good,” Demko said. “We kept our lines compact. We found our width a ton so our outside backs were heavily involved in the attack.”

In the 50th minute of the second half, Maryland broke the deadlock with a goal inside the box. Junior forward Mikayla Dayes capitalized on a bounce off of a Colonial defender and struck the ball low and hard into the corner of the net. Senior defender Olivia Di Cristofaro said the team remained calm and determined after falling behind.

“We stayed pretty positive,” Di Cristofaro said. “We had the momentum and we knew we could get the goal back for sure.”

GW kept at the Terrapins, hammering three shots at the Maryland goal before netting the equalizer in the 76th minute. Di Cristofaro slotted a crisp ball outside to Nornes, who centered the ball across the face of the net. Sorkenn made a run into the box and directed the ball past senior goalkeeper Erin Seppi for her first goal of the season and as a Colonial.

Machi made a handful of saves to keep the two squad’s level, including a fingertip save over the top of the crossbar. The Colonials launched several more unsuccessful attacks, and the second half came to a close with the score knotted at 1–1.

GW stepped on the field for its first overtime of the season. The Colonials fired off three shots on goal, two of which came from redshirt senior forward Sofia Pavon, but the score remained even. Pavon launched six shots in the game, four of which were on goal.

The game then went into its second and final overtime. The Terrapins went wide on two shots but hit the post with only two minutes left in the game. Sophomore midfielder Sammy Neyman took two shots on goal in the final frame, but both were scooped up by Seppi and the match ended 1–1.

Nine Colonials contributed to a season-high 23 shots, 12 of which were on goal. Pavon said the team needs to focus on finishing its chances near the net and getting numbers in the box on the attack.

“There’s some tweaks we need to make here and there, but once we make those we’re going to be a pretty dangerous team,” Pavon said.

The Colonials will return to their home pitch Thursday against Towson at 3 p.m.