Men’s basketball unveils 2019 A-10 schedule

The Colonials are set to defend the Smith Center nine times in conference play and will be on the road for the rest of the team’s 18-game A-10 slate.

Men’s basketball released its Atlantic 10 schedule Wednesday, rounding out the full 2019-20 slate about two months before the season’s first tip-off.

The Colonials are set to defend the Smith Center nine times in conference play and will be on the road for the rest of the team’s 18-game A-10 slate. The squad will play in five nationally televised games this season, one fewer than last year’s campaign.

During the 2018-19 season, the team struggled against conference foes and won four of 18 A-10 games. The Colonials were booted in the second round of the tournament.

The Colonials will open their conference slate with matchups against the A-10 champions and the A-10 Championship runner-ups.

In the first of their two meetings, the Colonials open their conference season at home Jan. 5 against St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies, who finished the season 12–6 in A-10 play and reached the A-10 Championship final, bested GW 64–58 last year.

The team will take to the road for a matchup against defending A-10 champion Saint Louis three days later. The Billikens captured a 10–8 conference record and the A-10 crown last season, ending their season in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Saint Louis toppled GW 73–58 in their meeting last season.

The squad returns home Jan. 11 and Jan. 15 for a pair of games against Duquesne and George Mason. The Colonials will play a home-and-home series with the Patriots and the Dukes, facing them again Feb. 15 and Feb. 19, respectively.

In their two contests against the Dukes, the Colonials walked away with two losses. The first came in a six-point overtime loss at the Smith Center, and the second was a road loss in which the Colonials were outshot in the last minutes of play.

George Mason also handed GW a trio of losses last season. The Colonials committed 18 turnovers in the teams’ first meeting, resulting in a 62–55 loss. The Patriots capped GW’s five-game skid at the end of the regular season, handing them an 81–65 loss. The squads faced off once more in the postseason, and George Mason edged GW in the second round of the A-10 Championship 61–57.

The Colonials hit the road again Jan. 18 and Jan. 22 to meet Massachusetts and Fordham, who they will see again March 4.

Last season, GW hammered the Minutemen to earn its fourth and final A-10 win of the regular season. The Colonials also knocked off Massachusetts by four points in overtime in the first round of the A-10 Championship.

Fordham split its competition with GW last season. Former junior point guard DJ Williams posted a 30-point night to lead the Colonials past the Rams 79–61. Williams announced his intent to transfer out of the program in June. Fordham returned the favor, besting the Colonials for the first time since 2012 in their second-to-last game of the season.

GW will close out January at the Smith Center in games against Saint Joseph’s and Davidson.

Last year, the Colonials started conference play on a high note with a 70–56 victory over the Hawks. The Hawks ended the season with 13 losses in conference play. Davidson, who finished the year 14–4 and made an appearance in the first round of the National Invitational Tournament, rolled over the Colonials in a 73–62 victory.

The first of two appearances against Richmond follows next on the Colonials’ docket. The Colonials will visit the Spiders on the road Feb. 1 before welcoming them to the Smith Center Feb. 26.

Richmond handed GW two blowout losses last year. A 20-point margin separated the Colonials from the Spiders in their first meeting, and a 26-point deficit prevented GW from seeking its revenge in the second matchup.

Games with Rhode Island and La Salle will take place on the Colonials’ hardwood Feb. 8 and Feb. 22.

Rhode Island trounced the Colonials 80–53, giving the Colonials their first 20-loss season in seven years last season. GW earned its second conference win of the season against the Explorers, winning the contest by three points.

The Colonials return to VCU Feb. 29 after suffering a pair of losses to the Rams last season. VCU beat GW by 10 points in their meeting at the Smith Center, which started a four-game skid in February. The Rams demolished the Colonials by 28 points when they competed in Richmond, Va. later that season.

The regular season ends at Dayton March 7. GW had a 22-point leg up on the Flyers in their meeting last year, but the squad coughed up the lead and ended the night with a 72–66 loss.

Full 2019-20 men’s basketball schedule

Nov. 1 – Hood College (exhibition)
Nov. 5 – Towson
Nov. 9 – Howard
Nov. 12 – American
Nov. 16 – Morgan State

Nov. 22 – University of Missouri-Kansas City*
Nov. 23 – TBD*
Nov. 24 – TBD*
Dec. 1 – South Carolina
Dec. 4 – Boston University
Dec. 7 – Delaware
Dec. 21 – Harvard
Dec. 28 – Longwood

Dec. 31 – Vermont
Jan. 5 – St. Bonaventure**
Jan. 8 – Saint Louis**
Jan. 11 – Duquesne**
Jan. 15 – George Mason**

Jan. 18 – Massachusetts**
Jan. 22 – Fordham**
Jan. 25 – Saint Joseph’s**
Jan. 29 – Davidson**

Feb. 1 – Richmond**
Feb. 5 – St. Bonaventure**
Feb. 8 – Rhode Island**
Feb. 15 – George Mason**
Feb. 19 – Duquesne**
Feb. 22 – La Salle**
Feb. 26 – Richmond**

Feb. 29 – VCU**
March 4 – Fordham**
March 7 – Dayton**

*Islands of the Bahamas Showcase
**A-10 games