GW to upgrade Smith Center court, install new scoreboard

The+University+plans+to+transfer+its+liquor+license+from+the+Marvin+Center+to+the+Smith+Center.+
File Photo by Arielle Bader | Staff Photographer
The University plans to transfer its liquor license from the Marvin Center to the Smith Center.

The Smith Center court will receive a facelift this summer.

Officials are updating the court’s design to feature a geographical outline of D.C. on the center of the court, according to a press release Thursday.

“Our court depicts our passion for and commitment to the District as we develop global leaders who will change the world,” athletics director Tanya Vogel said in the release.

The court will also include an extended 3-point-line to comply with new NCAA rules. The line will be extended from its previous 20-feet nine-inches to 22-feet 1.75-inches, according to the release.

Along with the updated court, the Smith Center will raise a new scoreboard. Officials plan to take down the current scoreboard, which fell last September, and replace it before the 2019-20 season begins. The new scoreboard features 125 percent more pixels than the previous board, the release states.

“With an enhanced ability and functionality to allow us to feature better image quality and resolution, our live video, instant replays, graphics, statistics, game info and sponsorship execution will be first in class,” Nicole Early, the associate athletics director, said in the release.

The court was last redone in 2013 to include the silhouettes of the White House, the Washington Monument and the Capitol Building.

The new court and scoreboard are part of several enhancements to be made to the Smith Center. Details about additional improvements will be unveiled soon, according to the release.