Fassnacht, D’Alessandro continue postseason honors with All-Region nods

Senior shortstop Nate Fassnacht earned American Baseball Coaches Association and Rawlings East All-Region honors Wednesday.

Senior shortstop Nate Fassnacht and 2019 graduate utility player Dom D’Alessandro earned American Baseball Coaches Association and Rawlings East All-Region honors Wednesday.

The pair carried on the Colonials’ streak of sending players to ABCA/Rawlings East All-Regional teams to four years. D’Alessandro became the first Colonial to earn two ABCA/Rawlings First Team nods, and Fassnacht grabbed his first Second Team honor.

With a top team honor, D’Alessandro earned an All-American nomination that will be determined Saturday. Should he be selected, D’Alessandro would join Fassnacht and sophomore utility player Noah Levin as this season’s third All-American.

The two joined seven additional Atlantic 10 players on the First and Second Teams. VCU led the way with three selections and La Salle and GW followed with two selections a piece. Richmond and George Mason had one player selected on each team.

The regional honors are not the duo’s first postseason distinction. Fassnacht was also drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the eighth round, becoming the fifth highest draft pick in program history. D’Alessandro was selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 22nd round.

Fassnacht and D’Alessandro rocked the A-10 this season, ranking in the top-five in runs, hits, home runs, runs batted in, batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.

Following standout campaigns, the two cleaned up A-10 postseason awards. Fassnacht earned the A-10 Player of the Year and a shortstop position on the First Team. D’Alessandro made program and A-10 history as the first player to be named to two teams, earning the First Team honor as a first baseman and a Second Team nod as a designated hitter.