Fassnacht nabs All-American honors after standout season

Senior+shortstop+Nate+Fassnacht+earned+an+All-American+honor+after+a+standout+junior+campaign.+
Senior shortstop Nate Fassnacht earned an All-American honor after a standout junior campaign.

Senior shortstop Nate Fassnacht was named an All-American by the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper for the first time in program history, according to a press release Thursday.

The publication added Fassnacht to the Third Team as one of four shortstops. The honor marks the 11th time in program history a Colonial has earned All-American nods and the second time the squad boasted two consecutive All-Americans.

Fassnacht spent his junior season headlining the Atlantic 10 conference, tying for first in the conference in runs batted in (60) and in the top five in both home runs (11) and batting average (.372). His 23 doubles tied the single-season program record and ranked him sixth among all Division I baseball players.

Between his sophomore and junior seasons, he raised his batting average from .277 to .372 and surged his number of home runs from one to 11. His slugging percentage also climbed from .347 to .655 in the 2019 season.

Defensively, the shortstop led an infield that turned a conference-leading 55 double plays this season. He also ranked second in the A-10 in assists.

Fassnacht also earned the A-10 Player of the Year award, a First Team All-Conference nomination and the Colonials’ Most Valuable Player award.

His success this season helped the Colonials clinch their fourth straight 30-win season. The squad fell short of a playoff berth, ending the season in ninth place.

The Colonials tab two back-to-back All-Americans with Fassnacht’s award. Isaiah Pasteur earned the honor from the American Baseball Coaches Association in 2018. The first set of All-Americans came in 1985 and 1986 when Kevin Fitzgerald and current head coach Gregg Ritchie earned the honor.