Class of 2019 raises nearly $80,000 for annual senior class gift

The Class of 2019 raised nearly $80,000 in an annual senior fundraising campaign, coordinators announced at the senior class toast Friday.

Seniors raised about $60,000 less than last year, when the Class of 2018 boasted a record-breaking class gift. Senior class gift coordinators Jake Kania and Eleanor Rubin said more than 800 members of the senior class participated in the campaign — about 39 percent of the class.

“One thing is clear, with Commencement just around the corner, our experience does not stop here,” Rubin said at the toast, which was held in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. “As Colonials, we are part of a lifelong and worldwide community.”

Kania added that more than 200 students, about 9 percent of the class, committed to making a sustaining gift, which will impact future classes.

University President Thomas LeBlanc toasted to the Class of 2019 for their donations, saying he is excited to welcome them to a community of more than 290,000 alumni. LeBlanc encouraged seniors to continue giving back after they graduate.

“I charge each of you to continue building on this legacy we are celebrating today,” he said. “Please continue to make your gifts, continue to give back and volunteer and stay connected to GW.”

LeBlanc added that the GW Alumni Association, which officially launched as a new organization last month, will gift every graduating senior with a GW water bottle. He said he is grateful to the Class of 2019 for strengthening the community during their time at GW.

“May you pursue your aspirations for which your George Washington University education has prepared you,” he said. “We wish you every success. May you always think of GW as your home in the heart of our nation’s capital.”

The event concluded with a toast to the Class of 2019 and a class photo.