Class of 2018 collects record $140,000 for annual senior class gift

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor
Past senior class gift campaigns have raised more than $100,000 for the University.

Updated: May 21, 2018 at 6:22 p.m.

The Class of 2018 raised a record-breaking $140,882 in an annual senior fundraising campaign, coordinators announced at the senior class toast Friday.

Seniors raised roughly $30,000 more than last year – an increase of nearly 29 percent – and beat the Class of 2015’s record gift of $128,000.

Senior class gift coordinators Bethany Perez and Luke Scuitto said at the toast that nearly 1,100 seniors had participated in the campaign – about 50 percent of the class. Roughly 300 students gathered in the Marvin Center’s Great Hall to celebrate the milestone after the event was moved inside because of rain.

Scuitto said a record 16 percent of the class also committed to making a recurring gift.

Perez said that because of pledged recurring gifts, programs like the Power and Promise Fund, a need-based student aid pool, and the Center for Career Services would receive sustaining annual gifts, which would impact future students.

“Today we celebrate our collective impact in philanthropy,” Perez said. “Through our gifts, we leave behind a collective legacy that we can all be proud of. All of our gifts make a difference for the Colonials who follow in our footsteps.”

University President Thomas LeBlanc also announced at the toast that he and his wife would personally donate $20,000 to the campaign to make good on a February pledge to donate $1,000 for every 1 percent of the senior class that agrees to give a recurring gift. He said the funds will support a new public student space that will be adorned with a plaque to recognize the Class of 2018 for its fundraising efforts.

LeBlanc encouraged seniors to continue giving back to GW after they graduate.

“I’d like to charge each and every one of you with continuing to build on this legacy that we’re celebrating today,” he said. “I implore you to stay connected, stay proud of GW and continue to give back.”

The event concluded with a toast to the Class of 2018 and a class picture.

Like these photos? You can purchase your personal photo from this graduation ceremony online at: www.hatchetphotos.com

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
Due to misinformation from a University spokesman, The Hatchet incorrectly reported that 25 percent of the Class of 2017 made a recurring gift to the University. Instead, 25 percent of senior gifts made to the University were sustaining last year. We regret this error.