Men’s basketball scoops former Saint Joseph’s commit

Jameer Nelson Jr., a 6-foot-1-inch guard from Haverford, Pa., committed to the men’s basketball program Tuesday.

His father, Jameer Nelson Sr., a current NBA free agent and 15-year league veteran, announced his son’s commitment to GW on Twitter.

“Meer is headed to GW to further his education and play for @JamionChristian and his staff,” Nelson Sr. said in a tweet.

Nelson Jr. planned to take a year in between his high school graduation and college start to attend a preparatory school, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

An athletic department spokesman declined to comment on whether Nelson will take a gap year before coming to campus, saying NCAA rules do not allow the department to comment on potential student-athletes until they sign a letter of intent.

Nelson Jr. committed to fellow Atlantic 10 program Saint Joseph’s – his father’s alma mater – in 2018. But he rescinded his commitment after head coach Phil Martelli was removed from the program, NBC Sports Washington reported Tuesday.

Nelson Jr. averaged 10 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game as a junior at the Haverford School, according to The Inquirer. As a senior, he helped the Fords earn a Pennsylvania Independent Schools Athletic Association Championship with an undefeated 30-0 season.

Nelson Jr. is the third basketball player to join the program under head coach Jamion Christian. Shawn Walker Jr. committed earlier this month after initially committing to Siena – Christian’s former program. Lincoln Ball also committed to the men’s basketball program last week as the first Class of 2024 recruit under Christian.

The squad will return 10 members of the 2018-19 roster and lose three members of last season’s team. Sophomore guard Terry Nolan Jr., freshman guard Shandon Brown and freshman forward Marcus Littles announced plans to transfer out of the program over the past two months.