Number of admitted students drops slightly for first time in nine years

The University admitted about 11,000 students to the Class of 2023, the first drop in the number of accepted students since 2010, according to a University release Monday.

The University has increasingly admitted more students annually over the past nine years as officials expected that fewer students would enroll. Officials admitted about 11,100 students to the Class of 2022 last year, but more than 2,800 matriculated, making for the largest freshman class in the University’s history.

The roughly 11,000 students accepted this year translates to an admit rate of less than 41 percent, the first drop in the acceptance rate since 2016.

About 27,070 students applied to GW this year, the second-most in the University’s history. Officials expect to enroll about 2,550 students this fall, according to the release.

“I am continually amazed by the students we admit to GW,” Dean of Admissions Costas Solomou said in the release. “This year’s class demonstrated tremendous passion for knowledge and drive for change, which will only strengthen our GW community in the coming years.”

The Class of 2023 will be the first to participate in a new orientation model, which will take place in the five days before classes begin in August instead of over the summer.