Admissions rate drops to two-year low

Updated: April 11, 2017 at 10:16 p.m.

The University accepted 40.2 percent of students for the Class of 2020, the lowest admit rate in two years, according to a release.

The admit rate dropped by more than 5 percent from last year’s 45 percent acceptance rate, which was the highest in more than a decade. This year’s acceptance rate puts GW back on par with competitor schools, whose admit rates typically stay under 40 percent.

Previously, GW’s acceptance rate had sat at about 33 percent for several years before increasing to 43 percent in 2014.

GW received a total of 25,541 applications for the Class of 2020 and admitted 10,101 students, according to the release.

Last summer, GW went test-optional, which officials said helped contribute to a 28 percent increase in applications this year. About 17 percent of the students admitted did not submit test scores.

More than one-third of the students admitted are multicultural, a one percentage point increase from last year. More than 15 percent of the admitted students are international, according to the release. GW hopes to double its international student population by 2020 as part of its strategic plan.

Officials have also prioritized recruiting more diverse candidates for the last several years, creating a task force focused on the idea, partnering with nonprofit organizations and sending admissions staffers to D.C. high schools to help prepare their applications.

It also marks the last admissions cycle led by Dean of Admissions Karen Felton, who announced in January that she will resign at the end of the semester.

This post was updated to reflect the following corrections:
The Hatchet incorrectly included data from early decision applications for the Class of 2019 and not the Class of 2020. The Hatchet also incorrectly reported the admit rate was 39.5 percent. It was 40.2 percent. We regret these errors.