Three Colonials selected in 2018 MLB draft

Ethan Stoler
Hatchet File Photo by Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor

For the first time in 16 years, three Colonials were selected during the same MLB draft.

Senior transfer Isaiah Pasteur, 2018 graduate Robbie Metz and rising senior Will Kobos were selected in the 2018 MLB First Year Player Draft Wednesday.

The selections extended GW’s streak of sending at least one player to the professional ranks to four consecutive years. The trio marks the 39th, 40th and 41st MLB selections in GW history, following outfielder Joey Bartosic and pitcher Eddie Muhl in 2017, infielder Kevin Mahala in 2016 and pitcher Shane Kemp in 2015.

The New York Yankees drafted Pasteur – a 6-foot-2-inch utility player – in the 13th round as the 397th pick overall after just one season with GW.

As the leadoff hitter, he powered the team’s offense throughout the season after transferring from Indiana. At the plate, Pasteur batted a team-leading .331 and led the squad in hits (78), runs (57), slugging percentage (.589), stolen bases (31) and home runs (11). His 32-game hit streak during the middle of the season set a program record.

Pasteur also made 12 appearances on the mound, starting three games and recording three saves while owning a 3.45 earned-run average.

Kobos – a 6-foot-2-inch pitcher – was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 19th round and was the 564th pick overall. He is now the fourth Colonial in as many years to be selected by the Pirates – whose team head coach, Gregg Ritchie, served as a hitting coach six years ago.

He owned a 1.35 ERA and picked up four wins and a team-leading six saves in 23 appearances on the mound. He recorded 49 strike outs and held a 0.29 ERA against opponents in Atlantic 10 play.

The Colorado Rockies capped off the GW selections by picking up Metz 756th overall in the 25th round.

As a middle infielder, Metz has been a constant presence since arriving in Foggy Bottom, earning a spot on the A-10 All-Rookie Team and establishing himself in the Colonials’ lineup early on in his career.

He has started in every game for GW in his four-year career (221) and batted .309 in the 2018 season. He swiped 24 bases this year and led the team with 18 doubles.