Two Colonials selected in MLB draft

Julia Abriola | Hatchet Photographer
Senior outfielder Joey Bartosic rounds third base during baseball’s front end of the double header against Rhode Island. Bartosic broke the all-time steals record during the second game of the day.

Joey Bartosic and Eddie Muhl, both 2017 graduates and four-year baseball contributors, were selected during the MLB First Year Player Draft Wednesday.

Bartosic, a 6-foot outfielder, was chosen with the 566th overall pick in the 19th round by the Colorado Rockies. Muhl, a 6-foot-4-inch right-handed pitcher, was picked up by the Pittsburg Pirates with the 748th overall pick in the 25th round.

The selections mark the third consecutive season with at least one GW player taken in the draft. Kevin Mahala (2016) and Shane Kemp (2015) were both selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Muhl and Bartosic are the only pair of Colonials to get drafted during the same year since 2010.

[gwh_image id=”19207″ credit=”Hatchet File Photo” align=”right” size=”embedded-img”]Eddie Muhl throws a pitch in a GW win over UMass his sophomore year. Muhl was picked up by the Pittsburg Pirates with the 748th overall pick in the 25th round. [/gwh_image]

Since his freshman season, when Bartosic was selected for the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team, the Oakton, Va. native has been as consistent as anyone else in the conference.

Bartosic holds program records for stolen bases, at-bats and length of a hitting streak. He has GW’s third most career hits and is tied for 16th in career runs with 1986 graduate and current head coach Gregg Ritchie.

Muhl has been the Colonials anchor out of the bullpen for the majority of his collegiate career. He holds the program record with 40 career saves, more than double the next highest total.

As the third Colonial chosen by the Pirates in three years, Muhl joins the organization that Ritchie worked for as a hitting coach for two seasons at the MLB level and seven total years before arriving at GW.

Both Bartosic and Muhl are part of a senior class that won 107 games and reached three conference tournaments during their tenure.