Man with gun tried to rob CVS, police say

A man brandishing a handgun walked into the CVS located at 2000 Pennsylvania Ave. early Wednesday morning and demanded money from a store employee, police said.

At about 2:03 a.m., the suspect entered CVS and pointed a black semi-automatic handgun at a man, saying “You know what time it is. Don’t play dumb. Open the safe,” according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

The man reportedly refused to open the safe and a witness said to the suspect, “You’re not gonna shoot him in front of all of us.”

The suspect then left the store and fled eastbound down the 2000 block of I Street in a white Mercedes Benz with unknown Virginia hard tags, according to the report.

The incident triggered a GW alert for an armed robbery, which was sent at about 3:47 a.m. Wednesday.

No money was taken from the store and police classified the incident as an attempt to commit robbery, according to the report.

The suspect is described as a 6-foot tall black male wearing a black sweatshirt with the words “NAY” written on the back. He was last spotted traveling toward I Street, according to the alert.

The alert advised community members not to confront the suspect if spotted but to call the University Police Department or the Metropolitan Police Department.

Wednesday’s attempted robbery was the second major incident at CVS in recent weeks. In August, a suspect stole more than $21,000 from the store, police said.