Little Simz, Grandtheft to share the stage at Fall Fest

Little+Simz%2C+also+known+as+Simbi+Ajikawo%2C+hails+from+the+UK+and+is+a+chart-topping+rapper%2C+singer+and+actress+who+will+perform+at+Fall+Fest+Saturday.+
Media Credit: Photo by George Michael Baker, used under the Creative Commons License.
Little Simz, also known as Simbi Ajikawo, hails from the UK and is a chart-topping rapper, singer and actress who will perform at Fall Fest Saturday.

Updated: Sept. 1, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.

Two artists well-known on the music festival circuit will perform at Fall Fest Saturday and Program Board will nix having a student performer open the show.

Grandtheft and Little Simz will co-headline Fall Fest, Program Board announced on Facebook Live Monday. Program Board will eliminate the opening act this year and instead begin the concert with a festival and music played by WRGW, according to a release.

Canadian-born Aaron Waisglass, who goes by the stage name Grandtheft, is a DJ and trap artist known for his remixes of popular songs. Earlier this year, the artist signed with Migos’ record label, Mad Decent.

Little Simz, also known as Simbi Ajikawo, hails from the UK and is a chart-topping rapper, singer and actress. Her debut album “A Curious Tale of Trials + Persons” made the top 20 on the UK R&B Albums Chart in 2015 and she’s released four mixtapes and five EPs since.

Both of the artists have toured extensively and performed on numerous music festival stages. Grandtheft has taken the stage at Coachella and Ultra, and Little Simz performed at Outside Lands and Afropunk earlier this month.

Student musicians have served as opening acts for Program Board’s annual concerts but were cut from the upcoming Fall Fest and this year’s Spring Fling, when hip-hop artist Isaiah Rashad opened for Matoma and Sage the Gemini.

Program Board released a new schedule for Fall Fest Friday due to potentially dangerous thunderstorms on Saturday afternoon, according to a release. Doors will now open at 1:30 p.m. and Little Simz will perform at 2 p.m., with Grandtheft following at 3:30 p.m.