Sage the Gemini, Matoma draw crowds to Spring Fling

Madeleine Cook | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Students filled University Yard in huge crowds Saturday night to see artists perform their best-known songs and score free food and merchandise.

Spring Fling was a success this year, following last year’s smaller crowds, with more than 4,000 students attending throughout the night, Program Board Executive Director Maddy Daley said.

Opener Isaiah Rashad brought mellow, laid-back songs to start off the three sets of the night. As his set progressed, the size of the crowd and energy grew. Nearing the end of the set students were chanting for the song “Free Lunch” to be played – and as the crowd demanded, Rashad delivered.

Rashad ended his set by jumping off the stage to greet students at the front of the stage. Students cheered and snapped photos with the rapper.

Thirty minutes following Rashad’s performance, Sage the Gemini took the stage. The crowd had substantially grown to about three times the size of Rashad’s once Sage the Gemini started performing.

Sage the Gemini’s biggest hits “Gas Pedal,” “Good Thing” and “Now and Later” got the crowd jumping and hands raised. Sage and the crowd exchanged “hey”s and “oh”s during “Gas Pedal.”

Sage ended his set similar to Rashad by meeting the crowd. Sage took his time moving along the crowd holding hands and talking to his fans, smiling as he went.

The night closed out with Matoma, who brought an hour-long dance party.

Matoma delivered electronic music that transitioned flawlessly between hits like “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran, “All the Way Up” by Fat Joe and Remy Ma, “Perfect” by One Direction and some throwbacks like “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” by Will Smith.

Matoma performed his hits, “False Alarm,” “Running Out” and “All Night” with The Vamps. Some people were on each others’ shoulders and danced with energy until the end.

Before the sets, booths gave out free goodies to those who got through the doors early enough. This year’s Spring Fling tank top was the first hot item to go within 15 minutes. Other booths gave out pizza from Domino’s and Manny and Olga’s, coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts and water from Essentia.

The most popular booth of the day, however, was the HBO booth that came with a life-size Iron Throne. The line to take a seat in the throne and picture yourself as the ruler of Westeros was constant throughout the evening.

Kate Ferguson, a junior, said this year’s spring fling was “probably the best one I’ve been to.”