Renovation plans to Tucker Field approved by Arlington County Board

The Arlington County Board approved plans to renovate GW’s Tucker Field at Barcroft Park and voted to extend its partnership with the University for 10 more years, according to a release Tuesday.

The Board approved the renovations that the University announced last year, including a new clubhouse, locker facilities and indoor and outdoor batting cages that will be open to community use.

“Our partnership with Arlington County has been mutually beneficial,” Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero said in a statement released Wednesday. “It has allowed us to provide an excellent home ballpark for our student-athletes, which has been reviewed as one of the top facilities in the region.”

Barcroft Park has been home to GW baseball since 1993. The University and the county signed an agreement in 2011 which allowed GW to make upgrades to Tucker Field and its surrounding area at Barcroft Park, providing the Arlington community with access to the baseball and softball facilities.

“It is special that the youth of Arlington County have the opportunity to play at a premier venue as they learn and grow through sports,” Nero said.

The University installed a new press box, concession area, dugouts, bullpens and stadium seating at the park in 2012.

The new project will be funded by GW through private philanthropy. The University announced that they received an anonymous $2 million donation toward the project in January, in addition to $500,000 of a $1 million gift from former baseball student-athlete and member of the GW Board of Trustees Ave Tucker – the namesake of the park since its dedication in 2014 – that was already slated for the renovations last year.

“This donation allows us to move forward on a project that provides the necessary resources for our baseball program to be successful,” Nero said. “We are extremely grateful to this donor and all those who continue to support our students.”