Athletic department recieves record number of gifts through Buff and Blue Fund

Athletic director Patrick Nero enjoys the watch party for the Women's NCAA Tournament selection show in March. Nero has said that building an active donor base for sports at GW will be critical for continued growth in athletics. Hatchet File Photo.
Athletic director Patrick Nero enjoys the watch party for the Women’s NCAA Tournament selection show in March. Nero has said that building an active donor base for sports at GW will be critical for continued growth in athletics. Hatchet File Photo.
The athletic department saw an 11.4 percent increase in donations over the past fiscal year, the department announced Wednesday.

The Buff and Blue Fund, which supports athletics in general at GW, received support from over 1,500 donors for the first time since its creation in 2012. Total donations increased by 171 percent over the past year.

“We take pride in being a part of our student-athletes’ journeys to achieve at the highest levels in their chosen sport and in their studies, and we recognize that Buff and Blue Fund donors are the driving force behind our success in helping them to fulfill their dreams,” athletic director Patrick Nero said in a release.

A handful of major donors helped bolster the funds success. Trustee Ave Tucker dedicated $1 million of a $2 million gift to the athletic department, and the Board of Trustees in turn voted to name the baseball field after him. Alumnus Gil Cisneros helped spur the Buff and Blue Fund Challenge which took place from early January through early April, donating $10,000 for every 100 gifts made during that period.

Philanthropy has been tabbed as a critical source of revenue for the athletic department to continue to grow, as it has, despite plateauing levels of support from the University.