Breaking the ice with administrators on campus

As+the+director+of+the+Multicultural+Student+Services+Center%2C+Michael+Tapscott+often+finds+himself+in+the+townhouse+at+2127+G+St.+
As the director of the Multicultural Student Services Center, Michael Tapscott often finds himself in the townhouse at 2127 G St.

Updated: June 12, 2017 at 4:52 p.m.

From individual school deans to the provost’s office and a new incoming University president, it can be difficult to keep tabs on all the administrators on campus.

But there’s a handful of officials who work with students when deciding on University changes or head departments that directly impact student life. You may never meet these administrators face-to-face, but you’ll definitely hear their names in passing.

Heading into your first year of life at GW – here are some names you need to know:

Anne Graham – Assistant Director of Student Involvement and Greek Life
In April, when a presidential candidate in the annual Student Association elections faced disqualification for harassment and stalking charges during her campaign, Anne Graham – an administrator in the Center for Student Engagement – showed up at disqualification deliberations with a stroller. After taking a brief maternity leave this academic year, Graham will reprise her role as adviser to the SA – the student body government – in the new school year. She’ll oversee a group of student leaders who advocate on behalf of the student body, allocate funds to student organizations and act as a branch between the student body and top University officials.

Michael Tapscott – Director of Multicultural Student Services Center
As the director of the Multicultural Student Services Center, Michael Tapscott often finds himself in the townhouse at 2127 G St., along with diverse groups of students who call the MSSC home. He has previously said that his goal is to make all students feel like they can have a home at the MSSC. Last fall, Tapscott – who has served as director of the MSSC for 13 years – launched a discussion series for small groups of students to address concerns about diversity on campus. In 2011, the Black Student Union presented Tapscott with a lifetime achievement award, praising his work in increasing diversity as the MSSC director.

As LGBTQ resources increase across campus, Timothy Kane, the associate director for inclusion initiatives, has worked to improve acceptance at GW.

Timothy Kane – Associate Director for Inclusion Initiatives
As LGBTQ resources increase across campus, Timothy Kane, the associate director for inclusion initiatives, has also worked to improve acceptance at GW. Kane promoted tolerance at the University since taking over the position in 2011, after serving as the director of the Office of Community Service. In the past six years in this position, Kane spearheaded an interfaith challenge in 2012 and moderated a panel last year discussing LGBTQ leaders in the civil rights movement.

Glenn Egelman – Associate Dean of the Colonial Health Center
Glenn Egelman is the newest administrator on this list. He was selected in March to serve as the first associate dean of the Colonial Health Center. Mental Health Services also falls under Egelman’s jurisdiction, after the department lacked a permanent director for about a year and a half following the resignation of former director Silvio Weisner, who was found to be unlicensed to practice as a psychologist in the District. Egelman said he plans to expand the CHC to students who don’t utilize the office.

Patrick Nero stepped in as the newest director of athletics in 2011, and six years later he was named Under Armour’s Athletics Director of the Year.

Patrick Nero – Athletic Director
When Patrick Nero stepped in as the newest director of athletics in 2011, he probably didn’t know that almost six years later he would be named Under Armour’s Athletics Director of the Year. During Nero’s time at GW, the Colonials have won 17 championships, including women’s and men’s basketball. Nero also led his athletes to triumph off the court in the 2015-16 school year, when GW placed first in Division I for NCAA Team Works, a community service award. Nero has signed on with the University until 2021 – so he’s a name freshmen will need to know all the way to graduation.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The featured photo had the wrong caption information. It has been updated. We regret this error.