Patrick Nero named new athletic director

The commissioner of the Division-I America East Conference will be publicly named the new director of athletics Wednesday morning, a source close to the department said.

America East Commissioner Patrick Nero will take the helm of the evolving Department of Athletics amid a review launched by the Board of Trustees and chaired by New York Yankees Team President Randy Levine.

“I appreciate the opportunity given to me by President [Steven] Knapp and the George Washington University. As a leader in higher education, George Washington provides opportunities for its students, faculty and staff to achieve at the highest level and reach their greatest potential,” Nero said. “I look forward to being part of the GW family and do all that I can to contribute to the mission of the University.”

Nero is stepping into outgoing athletic director Jack Kvancz’s position after Kvancz retires at the end of June. Kvancz announced in February he would leave after 17 years at GW. Nero’s arrival coincides with an ongoing review of athletics launched in tandem with Kvancz’s announcement. The review, which will give Nero an early chance to put a mark on the department, will look at all levels of athletics at GW.

Nero will be tasked with deciding the fate of men’s basketball head coach Karl Hobbs and women’s basketball head coach Mike Bozeman, both of whom will be in the final year of their contracts next season.

Prior to holding the top spot for the America East Conference, Nero was the athletic director at the University of Maine for three years. Seven Black Bears teams won conference championships during Nero’s tenure as athletic director for Maine, and 11 advanced to conference title games.

He also held a variety of NCAA leadership roles, including serving on the NCAA Division I Leadership Council, the NCAA Management Council and the Board of Directors for  Women’s Basketball Coaches Association. Nero previously chaired the Division I Commissioners Association and the NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics.

Nero is a native of Providence, R.I., and a 1987 graduate of Providence College.

Nero is scheduled to speak to members of the media tomorrow at a 10 a.m. press conference.