University admits more students than in last decade

The University has admitted 11,031 students for the Class of 2021 as of Friday – more first-year students than in at least the last 13 years.

GW received more than 27,000 applications compared to about 25,541 for the Class of 2020 last year and accepted almost 1,000 more first-year students than last year, Laurie Koehler, the vice provost for enrollment management and retention, said in an email. About 1,500 of the applications were early decision, of which 815 were admitted.

This places the preliminary acceptance rate at roughly 40.9 percent, similar to last year’s 40.2 admit rate.

Koehler said in the email that University plans to enroll between 2,500 and 2,600 students – a typical class size – but the number will not be finalized until the fall semester. She added that the number of admitted students could change as the University accepts students from the waitlist and the number of admitted students will be finalized in the middle to late summer.

The number of students admitted is also limited by the enrollment cap set in the campus plan – an agreement between D.C. and the University limiting the overall number of students on the Foggy Bottom Campus to 16,553 students. GW reached 99.66 percent capacity this academic year and had only 57 student slots left.

This is also the first admissions cycle under Costas Solomou, the dean of undergraduate admissions, who was hired in July.