August 25, 2005

Volume 102, Issue 4

Stories from the August 25, 2005 issue of the GW Hatchet. View a PDF version of this issue.

GW as busy as ever over summer

Though the majority of GW students departed campus and D.C. for the summer, the news did not stop over vacation. From important University decisions to local D.C. issues, summer 2005 was busy with a flurry of activity while many students were away. In case you are unaware of what’s been going on for the past […]

Women’s Basketball: News and Notes

Solomon out as assistant coach Former European talent scout Jacob Solomon’s tenure as an assistant coach with the GW women’s basketball team is over. Head coach Joe McKeown confirmed Aug. 17 that Solomon will not be returning to the program. “Things just didn’t work out,” McKeown said without elaborating further. Before coming to GW, Solomon […]

Varsity Roundup

Teams gearing up for openers Although preparations have been underway for months, late August brings the official start to the GW sports’ fall calendar. On Aug. 26, the GW volleyball team travels to Harrisonburg, Va., to face James Madison University in its season opener. The women’s soccer team kicks off its 2005 schedule on the […]

Boys of spring try to become boys of summer

For the vast majority of GW baseball players, the conclusion of the Atlantic 10 tournament marks the end of their playing careers. A very select few are fortunate enough to get the opportunity to follow their dreams of playing professional baseball. In 2005, the GW baseball team’s roster boasted many of the elder statesmen of […]

Column: Steroids: Who cares?

Like Bill Clinton before him, Rafael Palmeiro must regret adding his wagging finger to history’s scrapbook. In an instant, his career as one of baseball’s “good guys” disintegrated into scandal with a recent positive test for steroids. Significant in the world of sports, Palmeiro’s steroid use captivated the attention of not only the public, but […]

Out-of-conference schedules released

Since the 2004-2005 basketball season ended, GW fans have been waiting with bated breath for the prospect of more buff and blue basketball. Fans need wait no longer than Nov. 12 for the men’s team to open up its preseason against Augusta State in an afternoon game at the Smith Center. After their first Atlantic […]

Summer sports wrap up

While most of the GW community let their minds drift from Foggy Bottom during the summer, the Colonials athletic program was hard at work. Catch up with your team and see what changes you’ll see this coming season. Men’s Basketball Clemson’s Moore set to transfer Clemson University wing Cheyenne Moore is set to transfer to […]

Men do well on Australian trip

Men’s basketball head coach Karl Hobbs is known for his courtside antics. To show frustration with his team’s play, he often jumps up and down, yelling, while letting the referees know his opinions on their work. But the biggest scare Hobbs got during the Colonials’ trip to Australia was the near disappearance of his Atlantic […]

Column: Adopt four-by-four

This year, a GW task force is again exploring the viability of a four-course, four-credit undergraduate curriculum. This so-called “four-by-four” system was previously shot down when faculty rejected it in tandem with a mandatory summer session. As a stand-alone proposal, though, it deserves thorough reconsideration. Adoption of a four-by-four system could become the most enduring […]

Column: Complacency has no place at GW

An open letter to the newly minted GW class of 2009: Welcome. Since GW is your chosen institution for higher learning, there’s about a 90 percent likelihood you hail from one of three blue states: Pennsylvania, New York or New Jersey (OK, that’s a bit of a stretch). If you’re in that 10 percent that […]