Golf finishes sixth-place at NC tournament

A GW golfer tees off at a practice in 2018.

Golf finished in sixth place last week at the Wofford Intercollegiate in Hickory, North Carolina, marking the end of their regular season.  

The Revs kicked off with a 292 in the opening round Monday, followed later that day by a 290, and culminated with a 286 in Tuesday’s final 18 holes. They finished 292-290-286 (868, +28) overall, 22 strokes behind the tournament champions, South Carolina.

Sophomore Jed Dy and fifth-year Jakub Hrinda secured an 18th-place tie with a 7-over 217. Dy showcased consistency with rounds of 72, 72 and 73, while Hrinda staged a comeback from a challenging second round, delivering a 68 on Tuesday, punctuated by five birdies. 

Earlier this month, Hrinda announced his plans to play professionally after graduation. Hrinda will compete in the European Qualifying School’s four-round event this September to earn a spot on a European one-year tour.

Not far behind, sophomore Rodrigo Barahona finished just a shot behind his teammates, securing a tie for 21st place with an 8-over 218. Meanwhile, graduate student Hugo Riboud gave the Revs their first under-par round, finishing with a 1-under 69 in the second round Monday.

The Revs posted their lowest score of the spring season just before the Wofford tournament. At the Irish Creek Collegiate hosted by Appalachian State, GW scratched an 11-over 858 on April 9, a fifth-place tie.

Up next, the Revs are gearing up for the Atlantic 10 Championship on April 26 in Orlando, Florida. GW finished fourth in the tournament the past two seasons. In 2023, Hrinda tied for sixth place (1-over 217)  in individual scoring, and Barahona and Dy also carded top-20 finishes. In 2019, GW’s Logan Lowe claimed the individual championship. 

GW last won the A-10 Championship in 2012, when the sixth-seeded team broke a 36-hole program record to finish with 568, 7-under par.

Syd Heise contributed reporting.