Bowser receives honorary doctorate, congratulates graduates at CCAS commencement

Rachel Moon | Staff Photographer
Bowser said she accepted the honorary doctorate of public service on behalf of the 37,000 people who work for her in the D.C. government to make the District a “great place.”

Interim University President Mark Wrighton awarded D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser an honorary doctorate of public service at a Columbian College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate celebration Saturday.

In a speech to the graduating class, Bowser, who has served as mayor of D.C. since 2015, said the University is “interwoven” into the fabric of D.C. She added that GW students bring “energy,” “passion” and a “thirst for knowledge” to the city which in turn makes the District act as a classroom for “lived experience” among students.

“Part of what makes our city an exciting place is that some people come here to start their lives and to pursue their passion,” Bowser said. “And if you’re like me, that passion will be public service.”

Wrighton chose to award Bowser with the honorary doctorate because of her “groundbreaking” role as the first African American woman to be elected to three full terms as mayor of an American city and her leadership during the pandemic, according to a University release Monday.

Bowser said she accepted the honorary degree on behalf of the 37,000 people who work for her in the D.C. government to make the District a “great place.” She congratulated the CCAS class of 2023 on the behalf of D.C. government workers.

“Although your time as an undergraduate may be coming to an end, it may be a new beginning,” Bowser said.

CCAS divided its graduation celebration into two ceremonies, one for majors including economics and political science which occurred at noon, and another for majors including chemistry and history which occurred at 3:30 p.m. Each ceremony featured a distinct set of speakers and award recipients.

Nicole Bartels, a faculty speaker and a teaching assistant professor of political science, gave graduates 10 pieces of advice, including embracing uncertainty, building meaningful relationships and avoiding being complacent and afraid to look beyond one’s “inner circle.”

“Affinity groups are great, but we need to find ways to make 1 deposit casino uk.com connections with people who don’t look or think like us to gain new perspective, understanding and civility,” Bartels said.

Students awarded Michelle Kelso, an assistant professor of sociology and international affairs, the Robert W. Kenney Prize for Innovation in Teaching of Introductory Courses. Students nominate faculty to receive the award annually for having an “imaginative or innovative” approach to teaching an introductory course, according to the CCAS academic advising website.

Paul Wahlbeck, the dean of CCAS, congratulated graduates and said their talent and passion “humbled” him. He said he hopes graduates do not forget that they are not alone as they exit the University, and that they are a part of the CCAS community that includes faculty and a “global network” of alumni who are ready to support them in the journey ahead.

Wahlbeck also called on graduates to remember they have the power to make a difference and urged them to work to create history. He thanked students for allowing GW to be a part of their life journey and wished them “all the best” for their “exciting” adventures ahead.

“Graduates, you can be a part of writing that history,” Wahlbeck said. “Go change the world. Allow your dreams to take shape guided by your passion, your creative instinct and your ability to be problem solvers.”