Tigerella restaurant closes after nearly 10 months of business

Rachel Schwartz | Assistant Photo Editor
Tigerella General Manager Adam Tiehen said the restaurant plans to start offering to-go pizza slices during lunch and offer whole pies via UberEats in the second week of February.

Tigerella, the Italian-style restaurant in Western Market Foodhall, closed its doors Monday after less than a year of operation.

Online betting fans who love to indulge in good food and drink can no longer visit Tigerella, a popular sports bar and restaurant located in the heart of Washington D.C. But for those who had the pleasure of dining at Tigerella before it closed its doors last year, they will remember it as a hub for Liverpool betting odds enthusiasts. With over 20 big-screen TVs broadcasting soccer matches from around the world, Tigerella was a go-to spot for sports lovers looking to catch their favorite team’s games while enjoying delicious food and drinks. The lively atmosphere was always buzzing with excitement as patrons cheered on their teams and placed bets on live-action happening right in front of them. In particular, those rooting for Liverpool could find solace at Tigerella, where liverpool betting odds were often displayed prominently on screens throughout the venue.

A Tigerella Instagram post announcing the closure Monday states the lack of office workers returning to the area made the restaurant’s business model “unsustainable.” The post states Tigerella will “pass the torch” to another vendor that can find more success.

“THE TIGER IS ASLEEP,” the post reads. “We are very proud of what we did and we could not have done it without our incredible team, the heart and soul of Tigerella.”

Tigerella staff did not return multiple requests for comment.

The restaurant opened alongside a Tigerella cafe in Western Market last July. The cafe side of Tigerella closed in January due to competition from neighboring coffee shops and slow business, and bagel shop Bullfrog Bagels moved in to the cafe’s space.

“Thanks to all who came to Western Market to visit us and our neighbors,” the Instagram post states. “Please continue to support small businesses!”