Picturing Politics: GW Hosts White House Forum on AANHPI Heritage Month

Florence Shen | Assistant Photo Editor
Vice President Kamala Harris talks with actress Poorna Jagannathan and Jerry Won, the CEO of Asian American storytelling company Just Like Media.

Updated: Monday, May 8, 2023, at 3:58 p.m.

GW hosted the White House Forum on Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Lisner Auditorium Wednesday. More than 1,300 audience members gathered from around the country to watch AANHPI artists, activists and government officials discuss being AANHPI in the United States.

Check out these photos from the forum in this week’s edition of Picturing Politics:

A woman signs to the audience during the speech of U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai. (Sage Russell | Assistant Photo Editor)
Poet Rupi Kaur and actor Daniel Dae Kim laugh as they talk about AANHPI creative excellence. (Sage Russell | Assistant Photo Editor)
Vice President Kamala Harris looks into the audience as attendees rush to record her. (Florence Shen | Assistant Photo Editor)
Kaur reads from her 2020 book Home Body, a collection of her poems. (Sage Russell | Assistant Photo Editor)
Singer and songwriter MILCK performs her newly debuted song Metamorphosis in honor of Asian assimilation as a result of hate crimes. (Florence Shen | Assistant Photo Editor)
Harris smiles at the crowd. (Florence Shen | Assistant Photo Editor)

This post has been updated to reflect the following:

The Hatchet incorrectly reported that a woman was signing to the audience during the speech of Jenny R. Yang. The woman was signing during the speech of U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai. We regret this error.